Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pirates and Kindergarteners


Rachel's kindergarten class is through with the alphabet--which means that they no longer have a letter collage due each Friday. Which in turn means that each Friday the kids now share a current event--they are suppose to read a news article with a parent and tell what occurred. I thought it would be very exciting to tell the story of Captain Phillips being saved from the pirates, so, I printed off an article and Rachel (who is a pretty advanced reader I must say) read it and shared the story in her own words with the class (which I didn't see but can imagine how animated she got with the story) she said the boys thought it was pretty cool.

Not too much after this assignment was completed all the parents got an email saying "please don't use stories about guns or drugs, it is not Kindergarten appropriate." Surely no one used a story about drugs, because let's face it, that's not exciting at all. And since the rest of the class told the story of the Obama's getting a new dog (boring!) I am guessing this email was directed straight at me, in a round about way to not be offensive. Now I'm trying to decide which story to do for tomorrow; maybe something about Madoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment